Introducing Olga Szemetylo
Teaching at North Seattle College
After working in the hospitality industry for over 25 years in Marketing and Sales, I returned to school (Seattle Central College), to pursue a new career in technology.
After receiving my Web Design Certificate at Seattle Central, I started tutoring students and helping instructors as their Teaching Assistant. I loved it! In January 2011, I was hired as an instructor at the International Academy of Design and Technology. Soon after, I started teaching at Seattle Central and Bellevue College (whew)!
When not teaching, I am the owner and main principal of my Web Design business, Web Design by Olga.
IT111 - Internet and Web Authoring
By the end of the quarter you will be able to understand / do the following:
- The beginning of the Internet and the Web
- Network Overview - How is it all connected?
- The Client/Server Model (you are the Client)
- Internet Protocols - email, uploading, googling, the works!
- Build a Final Project Website, using
- HTML - Hyper Text Markup Language
- HTML5 vs XHTML
- CSS - Cascading Style Sheets and CSS3
- Web page design
- Website set up
- Website maintenance
This is not a "copy and paste" class. You will be pleasantly surprised to find out that HTML is NOT CODE! By the end of the quarter, you will build a website!
- Provide online Resources (on CANVAS)
- Provide additional Resources on my website
- Provide weekly PANOPTO recordings (on CANVAS)
- Promote Troubleshooting! The best way to learn is to make mistakes!
- Respond to students' questions within 24 hours
- Download required software by the end of the first week
- Get our Textbook!
Murach's HTML5 and CSS3, 3rd Edition 3rd Edition
Anne Boehm, Zak Ruvalcaba
- Don't get behind - Watch the Recordings (Recordings Module) and start building an HTML document using HTML tags
- Check assignment dates - Assignments will be closed towards the end of the quarter
- Start assignments early. They require a tremendous amount of time and questions will arise! Should you have any questions, please email me at
firstname.lastname@example.org and follow these instructions!
- Upload your work onto the server
- In an email, explain the problems that you are having with a link to your page
- DO NOT send me screenshots of your web page or the validator
- DO NOT FORGET to sign off with your FULL NAME and CLASS NAME, i.e. John Doe, IT111
- Check quiz dates - They are available for a limited amount of time.
- Check Announcements in CANVAS!